Saturday, October 2, 2010

Feathering Out

The chicks grew so mush faster than I thought they would. This was our first experience with chickens. I honestly cannot remember having ever seen a live chicken before I chose and ordered these chicks. Thats not something I want Midget to ever have to think. I want her to know where her food comes from and how to get it without a store. Just in case there is ever a time when she has to have this knowledge. I chose to keep only 6 of our 29 chicks. None of the keepers were roosters so I have already resigned myself to having to buy chicks from the feed store but at least my hens have lasted these 2 1/2 years and are still producing enough to have a dozen to give away every week. Little Midget enjoyed loving the chicks and letting them hop all over her legs but I had to keep the chicks safe so this picture was taken when both her and the chicks were small enough to fit in a storage container. I let her play with them like this until they started fly/hopping out then it was time for the outside coop to be built. I've designed 3 coops only the last as a permanent home. If I find pics I'll post them.

No comments: